One Saturday, we met some friends at a local place, M Street Kitchen. Seeing orders passing by our table, I could, tell that despite it being 8:30 am, this was a “fill your belly” brunch place.
Ordering in restaurants while eating gluten free, sugar free and low fat can be challenging. I perused the menu, and ordered their Huevos Rancheros.
Lettuce, tomato, black beans, eggs, cheese, charred tomato salsa on bed of corn tortillas with a side of rice and more black beans.
SpecialK gets a little funny about beans, so when I remade their dish at home, I used refried beans. He was comfortable with that choice.
This is the type of dish where you’ll want all the pieces prepared before cooking the eggs. I don’t like cold eggs, unless they are hard boiled.
Ingredients: (shown above ⬆️)
1 can of refrained beans. (I am partial to Trader Joe’s. Beans, water and salt.)
lettuce, chopped ( I used a romaine leaf)
tomato, chopped (I used a plum tomato)
Sliced Cheddar Cheese (Again, Trader Joe’s. Their lite sliced cheeses taste like cheese.)
Eggs, 1 or 2 per person
My Salsa Ingredients:
1 plum tomato
Juice from 1/4 of a lime, per person.
- Start by making the salsa. Chop up a plum tomato into small pieces. Chop up a shallot. Squeeze the lime juice over the tomato and scallion. Let them mingle on the side while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Shred a slice of lettuce, and the tomato.
- Layer on a plate, 2 corn tortillas per person.
- Heat the refried beans. I fried ours in a frying pan, and once warm, I add one or two slices of the cheddar cheese to the beans. Stir to combine.
- Add a serving of the beans on top of the tortillas.
- Add the chopped lettuce and tomato to the tortillas.
- Cook your eggs. We fried them in olive oil. Sometimes, SpecialK prefers poached eggs.
- Add the cooked eggs on top of the beans, lettuce and tomato.
- Add your salsa on top of the eggs, and enjoy!
- When I went to replicate this at home, I did not make rice and beans. The main dish was enough for me.
- As soon as I learn how to make charred tomato salsa, I will share it with you.
- If you aren’t using refried beans, you may want some shredded cheddar sprinkled over the egg.
- Eliminate cheese to make dairy free.
- If you enjoy peppers, add them to your plate with the lettuce and tomato. Add them to your salsa. We don’t eat most peppers, although SpecialK does enjoy red peppers.
- If you want to use your favorite bottled salsa, go for it!